Saturday, November 29, 2008

So it begins....

The news is official, and I it's been so for about a month now, but I am just now starting to record the process!! We really made the decision to adopt just a little before Halloween. Emilia was 16 months old in October and we decided to put thoughts into action and begin to find our next child who's waiting patiently for us across the globe somewhere.

We told my Dad and Deb first, on Oct. 25. We were met with disbelief and attempts to talk us out of it, so we took a deep breath and told Bill's parents the next night, who responed with complete silence (Bill's dad) and change of subject (bill's mom) So, informing the parents was a D-, if I had to rate it.

We were not going to let negative attitudes discourage us. I really feel God is providing us this opportunity to care for one of His children, and the devil loves to throw hinderances out like tacks on the road. But we have spare tires, so on we go.

Luckily, my coworkers are very supportive. I think city people are much more open minded and infinitely less judgmental than suburbanites. Part of the reason we moved to the city. Isn't it ironic how "Christian Values" are thrown under the bus when it suddenly affects YOUR family, but my radically liberal (and generally non-religious friends) embraced the idea of helping the helpless. Just shows God is in their hearts too, whether they realize it or not :)

Nov 1-3 Weekend vacation with Bill's family at SAugerties, NY light house. A wonderful weekend and we all had a great, relaxing time. But we didn't mention the adoption at all.

Wed, Nov 19th. I had my pysical for adoption. The nurse missed my vein the first time. She had one more chance or I was walking out. luckily for her, she got it. :)

Thursday, Nov 20 Had a nice, serious talk with my dad about the adoption. I told him how I felt the Lord is calling us to do this, and every child is precious to God, whether he or she is our birth child or not. I told him of many events in my life that suddenly all lined up, clicked together and opened a huge door all at once when Bill and I decided to adopt a child. He was quiet for awhile and said if the Lord's hand is on this, it's meant to be. He mentioned that Bill's and my professions could make a child into a powerful force for good someday, if he or she every returned to Africa to help others. (engineering and medicine are desperatly needed there!) He ended the conversation telling us to "go get that baby!"
Friday, Nov 20- Now God worked a real miracle today . I had ended the conversation with dad the day earlier feeling much, much better about the adoption. But today made us both realize the adoption of this child is bigger than we both imagined- and God's orchestrating it from here on out. Dad was listening to the radio on his hour commute to work and called me in the car to tell me he heard a broadcast about a woman who adopted 2 teenage boys from Liberia. she talked about the resistance she met from her 5 friends initially, who all 5 later went on to end up adopting kids from Liberia too. Well, this went straight to Dad's heart and he called me (in tears, although he said it was a peanut stuck in his throat ;) and said the God's hand is on this adoption process and he was completely behind us. He even joked he thought he should adopt a child! He talked about God sending "verification" to people when you are needing it most. I don't think you can get an any less ambiguous message than the one my Dad got. Praise God! I get goosebumps thinking about this conversation between Dad and me. There was electricity in the form of the Holy spirit going through the phone line. We both felt it. I was utterly humbled and at complete peace knowing this is the work of God we are undertaking.

Don't just think about helping your others- DO something: Matthew 31-40
31
“When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, then he will sit on his glorious throne. 32 Before him will be gathered all the nations, and he will separate people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. 33 And he will place the sheep on his right, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on his right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. 35 For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, I was a stranger and you welcomed me, 36 I was naked and you clothed me, I was sick and you visited me, I was in prison and you came to me.’ 37 Then the righteous will answer him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink? 38 And when did we see you a stranger and welcome you, or naked and clothe you? 39 And when did we see you sick or in prison and visit you?’ 40 And the King will answer them, ‘Truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, [6] you did it to me.’

In the paperwork front, I Mailed the request for my birth certificate off today.

Sat Nov 22- Mailed the police clearance request in the morning and the child abuse clearance in the evening from lancaster, where we met dad and Deb for dinner at our FAV mexican restaurant, el serrano's. i LOVE the ceviche. i could eat that pickled raw fish for breakfast lunch and dinner. YUM.

Thursday Nov 28- Thanksgiving. Printed the application for homsetudy. Feeling sluggish with paperwork. A hectice day on a tight schedulle as all our harrisburg holidays are. I wish there was a solution. Family A is Always mad becaseu we spent more time with family B, then family B gives guilt trips becuase we have to go visit family A, blah blah blah. But when we stay home for holidays there are tears and guilt-laden calls asking why we're not at home, how relatives A,B,and C want to see us, why didn't we come home. AAAAaaaaa. These are the times that try men's souls. I am so Thankful to God we have our families alive, healthy, and well. I just wish there was a solution to the reality that all of OUR holidays as a family are stress-laden, hectic, and miserable trying to please our extended families. We are unanimous that we do not enjoy holidays. Period. Solutions and Suggestions GREATLY appreciated.

No comments:

our visitors