Saturday, October 10, 2009

An Age of excess...

No news on our baby yet, but tongiht was a strange mix of emotion for us. We were lucky enough to go the Children Hospital's biannual Carousel Ball, their major fundraiser for different children's health issues. Well, this year one of its main fundraising projects is childhood obesity. I was looking around a room of the richest people in Philadelphia, dripping in diamonds and slathered in furs, realizing they are donating millions of dollars to help "fat kids" while I have a little son or daughter in an orphange half way around the world who is drinking watered down baby formula made with contaminated water and children are dying of starvation. Not that childhood obesity need not be addressed, (and not to be insensitive to the struggles of overweight kids) but it just seems soooooo strange to be fundraising to prevent obesity in the privledged few while starvation is a reality for the vast majority. I felt my face burning with indignation while I thought of the baby whose face I will be seeing in a few short weeks for the first time. BIll and I exchanged looks and sighed at the irony of the whole situation.

In other news, I found two awesome adoption videos- I hope to add one of our own soon!



3 comments:

Jenny said...

that is so ironic about our excess and their needs. and just so wrong. i hope the rest of your adoption goes faster than you expect!

those videos always get me. i hadn't seen the first one before... gosh they make me cry! but they're sooo good! it must be so hard for the orphanage workers to see a little one go, but they're so happy for them at the same time. thanks for sharing!

Adam, Katie, Levi & Judah said...

Thinking about you during this wait...the good news has to be coming soon!!!

Chase and Laura Bowers said...

We have had the same feelings about the whole "obesity" thing. Just thinking about the US as a culture in general and how much we spend on health/ weight loss will make you sick. Praying that you get a referral really soon!

our visitors