Friday, January 8, 2010

Emergency Room For Elijah

Elijah has had a chronic cough since we adopted him, which had been over a month now. He saw the ped on tuesday, who wasn't too concerned and said he lungs were clear. He was so bad wednesday, though, he vomited everything he ate from coughing so hard. So thursday we went Back ot the peditrician where he heard crackels in both lower lung fields and sent us to the ER. Luckily we live by Children's hospital of philadelphia which is the best kids' hospital in the country. We had a good vsit there, and luckily a chest rad was clear. they gave him an albuterol inhaler to help with signs and thought it was RSV virus, and thank God they sent us home. But now poor Emilia had a 101.6 fever last night and was feeling pretty miserable. Poor kids!!! we need to go back to Africa, we were all healthier there ha ha.

The rest of Elijah's medical tests came back and there is a problem with LEAD. I wonder if other rwanda families kid's had lead problems? His level was "9" which is apparently not at lead poisioning level, but high-end of what's considered not-too-bad. I think it's because of all the cribs painted with lead paint at the orphanage. that's my theory. He was also slightly anemic. All other blood work, including re-test HIV, hep B, malaria, syphilis, thyroid, and wbc count was all normal. We are waiting on a HEP c test and stool results.

SO to any adoptive parents, MAKE SURE THEY TEST FOR LEAD!

We are praying to get two sick kids back on track. January isn't the healthiest month to do so but we'll do what we can!

14 comments:

Marc and Kayan said...

Jen,

Sounds like you have all the MD support you need. I'm not sure if I've introduced myself but we currently about 2months since DTR and have been following your journey. I am so glad you made it home.

As for the lead, I evaluated lead exposure in young children and am familar with the literature. You are correct in saying that 9(micrograms/deciliter) is in the upper range of "still ok." the cut off is usually 10mg/dl. Even at 10, the effects on development (physical and cognitive) are not conclusive. Usually when we talk about 10mg/dl or more it's about prolonged exposure and the long term effects. Even when the lit. talks about lead being stored in the bones long term, it's a levels higher than this and long term exposure.

For peace of mind, I would have his levels rechecked at his well child just to confirm that they are decreasing.

My husband (internal medicine doc) offered to look at some of the labs that families got recently and did notice a trend of elevated blood lead levels (suggesting maybe exposure due to the lead paint) but was not concerned about the levels. The stuff you hear where kids need chelation are at levels of 40 (clearly not the case here). These cases tend to be in babies whose moms had pica during pregnancy (eating soil contaminated with lead).

Anyway, more info than you need. I hope any of it is helpful.

Kayan

Jenny said...

LEAD?! geez! i'm glad you found out! from what i've heard, that can be taken care of fairly easily, so i hope that's the case with you guys and E!

Anonymous said...

I hope everything is okay.

I would love to speak with you about Rwanda adoption. We are starting and need some help.
wickedwickedwitch@gmail.com

Claire M said...

Hi Jen,

I also have been following your blog for a while now. Congratulations on the adoption and I hope Elijah gets better quickly!

My husband and I have started the adoption process from Rwanda. How do you go about asking for the medical tests in advance?

iris said...

Been folowing your blog for a while now. I'm happy you are all home now. Hope E gets better soon.
Regards from Holland,
Iris

Jen said...

Hi Claire- I tried to click on your name but couldn't view your blog for some reason. please feel free to contact me at jenmjones at gmail.com

Jenny said...

don't worry about replying to comments! i'm sure once i have kiddos at home, i won't be replying too much either!!!

Mary Hoyt said...

I'm praying for the lead levels to go down quickly!
Thanks for sharing your journey with all of us.
Can you please send me the contact info for the POA you used in Rwanda or any other POA's you know of there?
marychoyt@yahoo.com

Adam, Katie, Levi & Judah said...

Hey:) just wanted to check in and see how your little guy is doing since being home. We also have been battling a chronic cough with both our boys (not as bad as your Elijah). Sending lots of love your way!
Look forward to hearing more,
Katie

Brooke Sikula said...

Hi Jen -
I love your blog. My husband and I are beginning the adventure of adoption from Rwanda and I want to find out if you can spare a few minutes to talk to me about the process.
My email is: zebracandy@yahoo.com

Thank you!

Liam and Karas Mom said...

Hi

I've been following your blog and would love to chat with you about the Rwanda Adoption Process.
Good luck witht the little ones.

Natalie
Springfield,OR
naldridge@clearwire.net

Julea said...

Jen,

I'd like to discuss Rwandan adoptiong but going independent. Do you have time? juleahernandez@hotmail.com

Thanks :)

4-more said...

Awww, poor Elijah (and you!). Thanks for that info about testing for lead. Hope you guys can rest with the lovely snow we're about to get...again! REALLY hope to get together sometime soon. April? -Laurel

One Hot Homestead said...
This comment has been removed by the author.

our visitors