Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Journey to Elijah

When I feed the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor are hungry, they call me a communist. — Dom Helder Camara

We have been enjoying 2 snow days here, with lots of good family time together which has been great for all of us. We had originally planned a 2 week trip to Africa to bring Elijah home, then I would take 4 weeks off to be with Emilia and Elijah together, but as it worked out, we were in africa 4 week and only home for 2 before we started having to leave the kids with a baby sitter 2 days a week.
I am happy to report, health wise, Elijah is doing great. He is starting to use his blossoming vocabulary to string 2 words together, as in "No Janey" (the dog) and "thank you" and night night. His first eye tooth also came in (he already has 12 other teeth though!) He goes potty pretty much every time we sit him on it too, but doesn't tell us when he has t ogo. He has fit in beautifully with the family and is gentle and sweet. Our perfect daughter, however, has been having some major sharing issues. Sibling rivalry has reared its ugly head. I think it will take time, and probably be a life long age old struggle, but ultimatley we hope they are loving brother and sister. She had done cute things with him though like feed him, help bathe and change his diapers, and hold his hand while walking. Elijah hates snow and cold however. I can't blame him, coming from a perpetual garden-like climate!
We hope he learns to love snow like we do, over time. We will keep you updated on his progress, but so far it's been absoultely mind boggeling, praise God!

One thing I do want to post about is the "Journey to Elijah" It was so much more than the adoption of our son. It was an eye opening, life changing journet. It centers on the issues of blessings, wealth, giving, and yes, sharing.
Our friend in Rwanda, Pastor Peter, said that he felt God told him if he were ever able to preach to Americans he should preach that we (americans) should pray to God in repentance, and pray for forgivness, instead of praying for blessings. I thought about this for awhile, and realised how many Sunday sermons center are on praying for financial freedom, praying for God to bless us, praying for this that and the other thing. I feel God wanted me to share this message too. Going to Africa was like no place I have ever been. We met educated, wonderful friends who would be right at home at our neighborhood block party or chatting at the office cooler at work, then to hear them explain how 2$ a day is a good salary, but 3$ is even better, and to hear about teachers making 20$ a month-- it just struck to the heart of me. I realized how people living in industrialzed nations (not just america) have riches beyond imagination for a huge portion of the world, and even throughout human history. And what do we do? We pray to God for more. More. More.
I imaginged God manning the phone banks at the huge prayer hot line in heaven, and a prayer comes in from America- Dear God, this financial meltdown has really hurt our family. The bills are piling up, our 401k has dropped, the mortgage is late, our credit score is dropping, the bills are mounting, we may have to sell the second car and downsize the house... God says, wait a second, I have a call-waiting-- hold that prayer- But you know how sometimes when the operator puts you on hold, you can hear what's going on in the background? Well, you over hear another prayer... Someone in the Kiburu slum in Africa- a widow-- Dear God, as you know my husband died from AIDS last year and now I am not long for this world. This isn't about me though, God, my 3 yr old is near death with diarrhea. I have no money for a doctor and no way to get there. The water we drink comes from the river where raw sewer runs in,our house is a few pieces of sheet metal with no electric or heat or floors or glass in the windows... please God, I just pray you just spare the life of my child. Amen. Now God turns back to you- Sorry for the interruption, what were you saying?
You are silent. Then you say, Lord, thank you for the riches I have which are beyond imagination for so much of the world. Please open my eyes to them, let me see the blessing you have given me and be grateful for food, for medications, for clothes, for electic, for clean water, indoor plumbing, for healthy kids, for a heater when it snows, for shoes for our feet, for our educations, for our families, for your Son Jesus. You have blessed me and my family unto the 7th generation. We are so grateful for you God, and the wealth you have showered upon us. Forgive us of our sins. Please God, use me to do your will. Use me as your hands, your feet. Open my eyes to suffering in the world and show me the way to help my brothers and sisters. Then you say, "Amen". To whom much is given, much is expected. Let us not lose sight of the big picture. We live in the big picture, after all, not in our little corner of it. Forgive me my sins, Father, and use me and my house to serve the Lord.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love what you said here. I am not a particularly 'religious' person, probably for some of the reasons you suggested. Here we pray for 'More, More, More' and that somehow we believe God rewards good people with wealth. Like you say, we are so blessed to be born where we have been, at the time we have been. It doesn't make us better or more deserving. And monetary wealth doesn't equate to happiness anyways, though society (and the media) wants us to believe that. We should be using the power of prayer to help others in their time of true need, not for our third car or a vacation to Mexico. And we wonder why other nations look at us with disdain at times. It is such a beautiful thing you have written here, thank you:)

♥kevnerin♥ said...

Jen: I would really love to talk with you about your independent adoption experience with Rwanda. We are hopeful to begin the same journey right away but would love your advice of not using an agency. Please email me ... I'd be so tremendously grateful ... keges.est.1997@gmail.com. Blessings, Erin

Laura said...

Hi! My husband and I are also adopting independently and I have a question for you. We have conflicting info on whether or not we need FBI clearance. What do you know about this? Any info would be helpful.
It's been fun to find all of these Rwanda blogs. I guess there is comfort in community!

Jen said...

Hi ladies- feel free to email me at jenmjones@gmail.com with any / every adoption question!! I am humbled and happy to help ! Jen

KLTTX said...

This is a fabulous post. I am trying really hard to teach my children that we have so much in this country. It is hard for them to fathom the poverty that other coutries have.

handstrustinhim said...

Hi....your story has touched me. I was searching for an agency to adpot frmo Rwanda. My husband and I are just in the beginning stages of the adoptive process and praying for God's leading in where to adopt from. It is our heart to adopt 2, siblings or not.
My husband is currently deployed for the second time in less than 2 years to the east coast of Africa. We are burdened for Africa and not only feel like God is calling us to missions there, but also to adopt from there. Would you mind sharing with me how you adopted with no agency and maybe guide me in the right direction. I appreciate your consideration of this and I also thank you for sharing your story.
-Amanda
handstrustinhim@yahoo.com

our visitors