Monday, June 28, 2010

Sweet 16 - 2009 Adoptions in Rwanda

http://adoption.state.gov/country/rwanda.html

I was just reading on state dept. web site about 2009 Rwanda adoptions. I knew we were one of the "pioneering" families to adopt from Rwanda, but I did not realize we were only one of 16 families in 2009 to bring home a precious child from Rwanda. Only 49 adoptions in the last 9 years have been documented from Rwanda. A very, very small number in a country with so many orphaned and abandoned children. While deep in the adoption process, several families including mine shared an email web-ring with each other in which every scrap of progress from the Rwandan governement, any tiny detail about paperwork, approvals, or updates was shared privately with each other. I lived, ate, and breathed Rwanda adoption news. Seemed like everyone was adopting from Rwanda! It really helped to make the wait easier and feel like we were all in this "together". It also was wonderful to hear news of so many adoptive families beginning their Rwandan adoption process. In the thick of things it seemed like so many people were adopting Rwandan children in need of families. But 49 in 9 years is a cold hard number. That is only about 30% of the 150 kids who were at the Home of Hope orphanage when Elijah was there. Some other adoptions are taking place from other countries but still the need far outweighs the number of eligible families. I want to encourage you if you are reading this blog to not be daunted by the small number of adoptions from Rwanda. We found the process smooth, professional, and with direct government oversite to help ensure the well being of the children. The kids are waiting for parents to love them. Only 16 parents came last year but 16 lives are changed forever. Don't wait any longer to begin your adoption journey and follow God's direction to care for orphans and the fatherless. The Home of Hope is truly a refuge for the orphans, no matter how simple it is. If you are looking for a way to help the orphans of Rwanda but are not in a position to adopt, I can say from personal experience the Home of Hope is in desperate need of clean water. As far as I know, almost every child adopted from HOH had giardia and other preventable water borne parasitic infections. (and the concurrent diarrhea & malnutrition) You can donate money directly to the Home of Hope and you know the money goes directly to the kids. There is no middle man, just Sister Gracias / Mother Superior. (in other words, your donation is in the best of hands)
It may have only been 16 kids, but I think of it as "sweet 16" for the families who are blessed with our new children and the children placed forever in families.

http://adoption.state.gov/country/rwanda.html

13 comments:

Aubrey said...

Good words! We just came home from Rwanda with our daughter that we adopted... I can tell you that just from our agency alone, we have already had 17 children placed in loving homes in 2010! With hopefully many more yet to come this year! ;-).

Kelli said...

Awesome words.

I'm so excited about our adoption... can't wait to see Home of Hope.

http://the-adoption-journey.blogspot.com/
kelli

Joanna said...

My husband and I are waiting to bring home our son from Ethiopia, but we have a strong desire to adopt our next child from Rwanda. I have been in the "fact-finding" stage and would love to discuss your process with you. I didn't see your email address but if you could email me to get in touch, that would be amazing.

Thanks,

Joanna Lovin
lovin AT att DOT net

Ling! said...

How great to be part of the Sweet 16! It seems Rwanda is getting much more popular to adopt from. I am so excited! And I haven't officially begun my journey yet! :)

teamlongmire.blogspot.com

The Sandersons said...

I am SO GLAD you posted this. A friend of mine is adopting from HOH and we are prayerfully considering doing the same. This past week, our church highlighted a ministry called LIving Water which drills water wells in underdeveloped countries in order to provide clean drinking water to that area. I immediately wondered about Rwanda, specifically HOH. The ministry is doing really well and was asking for suggestions on where they can go build next. (They already have funding to provide 12 more wells in the next year!!)

If you have any contact info for someone at HOH that we could contact to see if we could drill a water well for them, please let me know.

You can email me at jaime_sanderson@yahoo.com

Praying for those precious ones and now praying that this ministry can bring them Living (and fresh) drinking water!!

Cris and Em said...

hi! i just stumbled upon your blog, and i am sooooo glad i did! what an amazing resource! my husband and i were just about to start our second adoption (our daughter was adopted from Vietnam), when i found out i was going to be deployed to afghanistan this fall (i'm a physician in the army). i want to try to get our dossier as complete as possible before i deploy, then ship it off to rwanda just before i get home. we would like to try an independant adoption...but i am intimidated! i wondered if you would mind emailing me so we could try to gather a little more info! thanks so much!!!!
emilie
crisandemilie@yahoo.com
stickleybaby.blogspot.com

Ginger said...

Very interested in Rwanda for our next adoption but before I get too excited I'm wondering if you know if they ever allow families to adopt that have more than two children in the home? We have three but are open to some special needs and also interested in young sibling groups. Thanks!
gndpacheco at yahoo dot com

Paul, Angie and Tyler said...

Really loved looking through your blog. My husband and I are "fact finding" adoption as well. We would love to learn more about an independent Rwandan adoption, would you mind emailing me so we can chat? angiehubbard5@yahoo.com

Thanks! Angie Hubbard
PS We live close to Philly!

Susan said...

I found the process easy, fast, and I felt really comfortable about the complete lack of corruption in the system. It was a great experience. My son is fantastic! They clearly loved him and cared for him well.

Anonymous said...

We are hoping to adopt from Rwanda and looking for advice on the "first step" in the process! We have two children that we adopted domestically, but this is our first experience with international adoption. Where do we start? Thanks and congratulations!
Lisa Pergi
lpergi@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Your son is beautiful--congratulations!! We are in the process of adopting from Rwanda through AWAA. Would love to correspond with you and get your ideas and suggestions for our journey! My email is
rogregoryii@hotmail.com
Thank you!
Olivia

One Hot Homestead said...

Well said Jen! I hope all is well with you guys. We should have a reunion someday.

Kari

Unknown said...

I am working with a Rwandan orphanage in Mishu. My husband and I have a 501(c)3 called the Orphan's Prayer. We started it when we started our adoption process in Honduras (independently too like you!) and had such a hard time.. We are trying to help some other orphanages that asked us- in Rwanda and Ghana. However, we have a friend looking to adopt from Rwanda and the orphanage we help has no babies, only teens. Can you help us?
my email: TheOrphansPrayer@gmail.com

our visitors