Thursday, November 5, 2009

reading list while waiting?

So I was hoping today would be the day, but if not, HOPING for tomorrow!
In the mean time, I went on amazon and ordered a veritable library of children's books from Africa. They have a bunch of books for 5-6$ and if you buy 3 you get one free. So, I will review them when they arrive and let you know which ones we love!

I would also like to reach out to bloggy-world and see if you have any suggesstions on Rwanda books or adoption books.

Ones I've read:
Land of 1000 hills by Rosamond Carr - A biography of a woman who moves to Rwanda in the 1940's and her life there in peaceful times. When the genocide hits in 1994 this 80 yr old amazing woman evacuates to the US but decides she can't leave the land she loves. In a passage that gave me goose bumps she describes hopping on a soviet era plane as an elderly woman and returning to the most dangerous country in the world to help orphans she loves. Very interesting read/ easy read. 5 stars!

Adoption Nation: How the Adoption Revolution Is Transforming America (Hardcover)
~ Adam Pertman Kind of all over the place and hard to follow at times, but I got if for a few bucks on ebay used. It had some interesting points on trends in adoption and how adoptions have changed dramatically over the years. 2 stars

Chicken soup for the adopted soul- if you like chicken soup stories you'll love this. Not great literature but nice pick-you-up reads 4 stars

Twenty Things Adopted Kids Wish Their Adoptive Parents Knew By Sherrie Eldridge
Very insightful on some topics, but totally seems whackie on others. I'm not sure she has scientific studies to back up her conclusions and seems like she fights a lot of her own demons. Nevertheless, since I am new to adoption I am glad I am aware of some of these issues, but I hope she's off base since she makes it seem like every adopted person will be severely off base at the core of their being but will only be happy when the supress some things. At least that's what I took away from it. You may get a totally different impression. I do still recommend reading it with a grain of salt. 3 stars

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will be killled with our families… (Paperback)
by Philip Gourevitch Interesting first hand accounts of Rwanda Genocide and especially interesting Politics that led up to genocide and especially how the world community reacted (not in a good way!) I had to skim it sometimes because it got a little to dry but the post-genocide reponse I found most interesting. I also skim violent passages because I find them too upsetting, but it doesn't have too many and they also play into larger stories in the book (not just random violence scenes) Four Stars

Ishmael Beah’s memoir, “A Long Way Gone,” Boy-Soldier in sierra Leonne. Riveting, disturbing, eye opening. HIGHLY recommended.
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/25/books/review/Boyd.t.html This is a NY times review- much better than mine!

So that's my list for now- Any other Suggestions?? PLease add them in the comments!

Praying tomorrow is the big day!

6 comments:

Jenn said...

I need to email this to everyone, but "Left to Tell" by Imacculee Ilibagiza is absolutely amazing! It is such an amazing story on the power of prayer and forgiveness. I could not put it down!

Susie said...

I read Black Baby White Hands and had similar thoughts as yours on Twenty Things, although it was really helpful for me and beautifully written.

Now I'm reading I'm Chocolate You're Vanilla while we wait...wait...wait....wait

Allie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Allie said...

Sorry about the previous comment! Let me try again.

I read "Left to Tell" also, and it was very good. Just finished "The Strategy of the Antelope" by Jean Hatzfeld - about life in Rwanda after the genocide. It was really good in terms of helping you get inside the minds of Rwandans - killers and survivors.

On a lighter note, "Secret Thoughts of an Adoptive Mother" by Jana Wolff is good as well. It's one woman's story of adopting a bi-racial baby. Mostly light, easy read with real issues explored in an approachable way.

This is a good idea; thanks!

Schulz Sightings said...

hi Jenn, my family and I have just embarked on adopting independently from Rwanda as well. We are just now having our home study done. Jamie Jo B. is helping us along. I would love to email you. My email is emily.schulz@att.net. I need advice, and guidance. JJ will be in Rwanda and then adjusting with her son at home for a while.
I am so encouraged to find you! OH, a movie to buy: As We Forgive. About the reconciation and forgiveness in Rwanda post gen.Sorry to be so long!
~Emily

Elizabeth Styffe said...

"The Connected Child" by Dr. Karyn Purvis is the best book I know for anyone adopting. I've enjoyed a zillion- I'll send the titles of books that our children enjoy in another post. Happy to cheer you on...as an adoptive mom of 3 children from Rwanda...it's worth the wait!

our visitors